Commitment to Culture
In October 2018, United Soccer Coaches published their Commitment to Culture campaign, promoting the culture they believe will best help to develop soccer and its players. We encourage you to have a look and reflect on how your club, teams, and coaches embody and teach the values espoused by the world’s largest soccer coaches organization that serves players at every level of the game.
What is the Commitment to Culture?
- The “Commitment to Culture” is the outcome of a strategic coaches’ summit that was held at the 2018 United Soccer Coaches Convention in Philadelphia.
- Coaches representing all levels of the game (pro, college, high school, competitive and recreational) were brought together after the United States Men’s National Team failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup and amid various reports of declining participation numbers within the sport.
- The coaches were tasked with developing a joint framework of fundamental beliefs that the coaching community collectively supports and strives to achieve—seven cornerstones were the result.
What are the seven cornerstones of the Commitment to Culture?
- SOCCER UNITES US. We embrace and celebrate our differences because the game makes us one.
- CHARACTER FIRST. We honor, teach and develop the core values of honesty, loyalty, responsibility, selflessness, compassion and discipline.
- THE RULE OF FUN. Fun is the lens that can make every soccer player a success. Fun takes many forms and always concludes with “I want to do it again.
- THE GAME IS THE TEACHER. We are all responsible to ensure that soccer teaches the skills of a well-lived life. Teamwork, leadership, hard work, communication and creativity are just the beginning of its lessons.
- WELL-BEING. A safe, healthy, welcoming experience in body, mind and spirit is the right of every soccer stakeholder.
- WE ARE FAMILY STRONG. Family in all its forms – team, club, community, relatives – is the greatest asset that soccer has. Take time to connect and appreciate.
- SOCCER IS THE PLAYER’S GAME. Soccer is a personal journey for every player. It is for the player to see, decide, create and win or lose. It is their game.