CAYSA Update – CAYSA Spring 2020 Return to Activity Notice
On May 18th, Governor Abbott announced the transition into Phase 2 to reopen Texas. Phase 2 includes Youth Sports entities’ ability to hold events and practices starting May 31st with restrictions, and games starting June 15th.
As communicated to CAYSA clubs on May 1st, the CAYSA Directors Council and CAYSA Competitions Committee met again on 5/19 to review the updated “Open Texas” guidance from the State of Texas. Based on that meeting, CAYSA is modifying the previous recommendations on the revised CAYSA 2020-2021 tryout dates. CAYSA is providing guidance on how clubs should handle tryouts for the upcoming season and/or clubs providing additional summer programming. Based on that input, the CAYSA Executive Committee has approved the following direction and guidance:
- Beginning May 1, clubs can open databases and accept try-out applications as well as register their CURRENT players for the 2020-2021 seasonal year. A CURRENT Player is defined as a player registered with your club for the 2019-2020 seasonal year, and current players can go ahead and be assigned to an upcoming team.
- Tryouts for players, either virtual or in-person, cannot begin until Monday, June 1 for all age groups(11U-19U), and that any State, County, or local authority restrictions must be respected.
- When planning for try-outs or summer programming, please remember you must abide by the Open Texas minimum Standard Health Protocols, please see below:
- The Youth Sports Operators Minimum Standard Health Protocols Checklist
- The Youth Sports Families Minimum Standard Health Protocols Checklist
Additionally, any US Youth Soccer and South Texas Youth Soccer guidelines should be reviewed and followed. Please see their respective websites for latest updates and guidance:
There have been numerous inquiries regarding those policies and procedures mentioned above and how a club can minimize their risk as they return to activity. Both the State of Texas Youth Sports Operators and the USYS Return to Activity documents list specific obligations for clubs. The State of Texas Youth Sports Families protocol provides standards that players and families should follow. CAYSA encourages all member clubs to review those documents closely and implement a comprehensive policy that contains the appropriate guidelines and checklists referenced.
At this time, some clubs in South Texas have developed additional approaches that include: COVID-19 Return to Play Waivers, COVID-19 Health Assessment forms, and modified Codes of Conduct to include the appropriate checklists.
As always, please be safe. Contact CAYSA directly (512.302.4580, firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions regarding your club’s policy implementation.
Capitol Area Youth Soccer Association